Thursday, April 14, 2005

Hard situtations and hard stands.....

I have been watching the Episcopal Churchs battle with the issue of a gay clergy/Bishop. Seems it has reached critical mass and 6 pastors are asking to be under the direction of another Bishop, refusing to accept the authority of the gay bishop. Its a sad day that the situtation has reached this point. I cant help but feel its another time where "politicaly correct" rules over Biblical authority.

I have read the Bible ragarding the gay lifestyle. There can be little dabate that the Scriptures condems homosexuality. Yet, we want to make everyone feel "comfortable and accepted" to the point we want to rewrite Scriptures. This is a slippery road indeed. Where does that Biblical line have to be drawn? I realize there is a HUGE difference between a gay person, and a praticing gay person, much like the difference between an alcholic and a drinking alcholic. But, this does not seem to be the issue. While we are all sinners, the difference is that we should reconize that sin, and be on the path to correct it, or at least convicted of its wrongness in the sight of God. As a lay person, I can say, I want to know that my spiritual leader has the walk with God to see sin, and be working on it, not celebrating it and flaunting it with pride.

I know our society wants to please everyone. I know its "politicaly correct" to celebrate all kinds of diversity, to enbrace each other and accept people where they are, but I DONT see the courage to say things as they are. I thing racism, sexism, slander and bigotry in ANY color, taste or level is still bogotry! At a recent diversity workshop, I stated that I DONT CARE what color my boss is, provided they are competent. To offer advantages to "minorities" is racism. To say, we should give added consideration for the sake of diversity, is to give the nod to JUST as foul example of bigotry as we have been fighting to avoid since the 60's marches. The "glass ceiling" the white top, the moral right. All of this reeks of bigotry. This can be the only reason a church would knownly approve a bishop that is gay. Scripture is very clear with its views on homosexualty.

I am disappointed with the Episcopal Church, and the Methodist Church for even considering gay clergy. As was said in Ezekiel 37:3 "Will these dry bones live?" Only God knows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home